Please note: Since this news item was posted, Ontario Presents has made the decision to move Contact ONtour to a virtual format for 2021 due to the ongoing COVID situation. The virtual conference will take place during the week of September 13th - 18th, with some activities held throughout the month of September. No activities will be held during Yom Kippur (the evening of Sept 15th and all day on Sept 16th).
Ontario Presents is excited to announce Contact ONtour, a reimagined Contact event, coming to you virtually, from September 13-18, 2021.
Through this conference, we will continue to bring presenters, artists, agents, managers, and industry professionals together for conversation, connection, and performance. But how we do so will look a little different.
Prior to the pandemic, plans were already underway to develop Contact ONtour - a new, more nimble conference that would shine a brighter spotlight on the host community. Now, with the pandemic deeply affecting our industry, climate change remaining an urgent priority, and essential conversations about racial inequality taking place in our sector and society, changing the way we work is more necessary than ever.
We do not yet know exactly what this reimagined conference will look like. We continue to have conversations with colleagues across the sector, and to adapt to the changing COVID circumstances. Here is what we do know:
- Contact ONtour will take place every other year in an Ontario community. We will continue to offer opportunities to gather on the off-years, but are taking our time to determine what type of gathering is needed as the pandemic continues to change everything.
- Live performances will remain an essential part of the conference. We hope to open showcase applications in January 2021.
- Contact ONtour 2021 will take place from September 17-19, 2021.. We are currently planning for a fully virtual conference.
- The new dates span a Friday to Sunday, while Ontario Contact typically took place on Thursday to Saturday. We are trying out this new format and will be open to feedback (as we will be on all aspects of the conference).
- Part of the vision of Contact ONtour is to shine a brighter spotlight on the performing arts ecology of the host community. We are already working closely with our member presenters to identify community partners and provide professional development to emerging artists and presenters in Ontario.
We are excited by the opportunities before us and will continue to provide more information as plans develop over the next 10 months. If you have any questions, please contact Cheryl Ewing, Conference Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902.443.4209.
The Ontario Presents Team